Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Perseverance

I have not written much about Taras except that he is a great kid and he fits perfectly into our family. Truly, there is so much more to tell. I am inspired and in awe of Taras. I had no idea how hard his life had been until we met with the head caretaker at the orphanage who told us much about his past. Out of respect for Taras, I will not divulge the details at this time. There may be a day when they can be told, but it is his story, not mine, to tell. What I can tell you, is that he is a boy/man to be admired; he truly is "great". Greatness is born by perseverance in the face of adversity. As Calvin Coolidge wrote: "Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." Or as Paul wrote to the Philippians, "Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Jesus Christ." Taras has persevered in the face of much adversity. He is mature and able. He is courageous and kind. He is trustworthy and respectful. He is joyful and affectionate. He has overcome more than I could ever even imagine in this life, and yet, he has become much more than I could ever hope to become. Jesus Christ has strengthened him and equipped him and I have such great hopes for him. My hopes for him do not include success as defined by the world, but rather, succeeding in holiness, as defined by Christ. My prayer is that Rick and I may now be equipped to "let [Taras] live up to what [he] has already attained". (Phil 3:16)

2 comments:

  1. How is Bohgdan, after 5 days?
    Roza

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roza,

    Bohdan is much better! He is still manipulative and I think he lies a lot, but we'll work on that once the language barrier is broken. He definitely wants to come "home" to America now! Can't wait to see you! BIG hugs...

    ReplyDelete