Thursday, July 8, 2010

Andrew

Today was not a great day. U.S. Embassy in the morning went well, and then in the afternoon we went to visit the most beautiful "lavra" (monastery) Rick and I had ever seen. (Mom, it will be a definite, "must see". We will leave the boys at home.) However, neither Taras nor Bohdan were thrilled with being there, and complained practically the ENTIRE time to "go home". Currently "home" consists of an 800 square foot apartment, which with four boys, was clearly out of the question. Finally I called our legal facilitator to translate what we had been trying to get through to the two boys for at least TWO hours...we are NOT going home! It worked for Taras. He stopped complaining and cheered up immediately. Bohdan was another story...

Anyway, as many of you know, our little Andrew is one of the funniest children I have ever met. And, today, he made, perhaps, one of his all-time funniest comments:
Andrew: "Daddy, I hope I'm not dreaming"
Rick (looking around at the totally unsanitary bathroom): "No, I think this is pretty real, Andrew."
Andrew: "Because if I'm dreaming, I'm pooping in my bed right now."
Don't know if it was the day or what, but Rick and I were rolling around on the floor when he told me...we were laughing so hard. Andrew has truly been a blessing on this trip. He walks around the city humming and picking up coins. I think he has collected at least 20 gryvna in coins by now (a LOT of coins). He is such a joy. Please pray for Charlie and Andrew as Bohdan has been an "unexpected interruption" in their lives. He was "expected", but his attitude wasn't. It's been hard on them. Fortunately, Taras has showered them (particularly Andrew) with love. And, that has been a blessing to watch.

Charlie turns eight tomorrow. I ordered him a beautiful (and EXPENSIVE! - don't tell Rick!!) all chocolate cake from a wonderful "patisserie" around the corner. Happy birthday, Charlie! I'm sorry we'll have to spend the whole day in court... We love you very much and are so proud of the boy you are and are becoming.

Thanks again for all your prayers. I cannot overemphasize how important they are to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment