Sunday, July 4, 2010

Amazing Grace

So, last night we got no sleep. Bohdan was coughing uncontrollably the entire night. I don't think any of us slept well, particularly Rick and me. First thing this morning, I told Rick we needed to ask someone at church if they knew of a doctor around who could check him out. Also, perhaps due to my tiredness or perhaps not, I was doubting everything this morning. Bohdan has continued to be hard, and I have been doubting my ability to care for two difficult children. (Taras has still been great.) Not only will I be parenting them, but home-schooling as well, and this morning it seemed that he answered "no" to EVERYTHING I asked him to do or "yes" to EVERYTHING I asked him NOT to do. My doubts and fears were running high. Then we went to church...

We arrived, made the usual greetings, then took our seat in the back near the English translator. Soon after we were seated an American missionary couple came in and sat in front of us. It didn't take us long to figure out we were all Americans. It also didn't take long to discover the husband is a pediatrician. One prayer answered, thank you God! But this was just the beginning of what God had in store for us today. The pastor prayed a LOT during the service (awesome!), but his first prayer was about the children. (Claiming people do not have a lot of children here is an understatement. Ukraine's birth rate is one of the lowest in Europe, and Europe has the lowest birth rates in the world. Those who do have children are often alcoholics; consequently their children end up either abused and neglected or sent to an orphanage or both.) I can't tell you how fitting it was to our new family. I wish I could have recorded it, because it was so Spirit led, and it touched both Rick and me deeply. The words perfectly captured, and reminded us of, our first sentiments: the reasons we were in Ukraine adopting and the reasons we had to persevere through all the ups and downs. Last, but definitely not least, came the sermon. We were blown away! It was based on Psalm 127:

"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain. In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat - for he grants sleep to those he loves. Sons are a heritage from the Lord, the children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate."

Need I say more? God truly spoke to us. He spoke loud and clear. My doubts have receded and my fears have subsided. Rick and I are not building this house, God is. He has given us a heritage, and we will not be put to shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment