Tuesday, June 1, 2010

From 3 years to 3 weeks

Three and a half years ago Rick and I started praying about, and then working toward, this adoption. Three weeks to go, and all those prayers will culminate in the meeting of our two new sons, Taras and Bogdan. It's almost incomprehensible!

We spoke to the boys on the phone yesterday. Bogdan is ecstatic. Our facilitator told us that the director of the boys' "center" told him that Bogdan has asked him every day since our first phone call WHEN we are going to be there to get him. Now it is only a matter of a couple of weeks! You can hear the joy in his voice! I cannot wait to get my arms around that cutie!

Taras is more confused. He is 13, almost 14, and he is having his doubts. Not about us, but about leaving all his friends and everything he knows. Please pray with us for Taras. I cannot imagine how confusing and difficult this must be for him. That is a hard age anyway, and then to be put through a move to a country where you don't know anyone, nor do you speak the language...and with a new family whom you will have only known about a month...it's hard. I wrote him an empathetic letter this morning, that will hopefully reveal to him that we understand, and that it's okay for him to feel the way he does. I just pray God's comfort upon him, and that we will come up with some clever methods of communication together, that he might be able to keep up his friendships in Ukraine.

Speaking of friends...I am so thankful for our friends here. At the last minute, I had to pull together sitters for our kids once they come home with Rick (but I will still be in Ukraine - with my Mom), and my awesome friends came through big time. I was able to cover my kids immediately which eliminated a ton of stress. I was really worried about the whole thing, and wasn't sure what would be easiest on our kids. But now they will get to spend a couple of weeks with friends they love, and I couldn't be more thankful. It will make my time away from home that much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment